Doing The Best For Our Children
Dr Mike Evans presents another of his usually wonderful videos. This video's subject - Save Brains.
Dr Mike focuses specifically on young brains so if you have children this video will be of great interest to you.
Some of the key messages are provided here plus the video:
- The first 1000 days is best time to stimulate a young brain
- A combination of health, good nutrition and play-based responsive stimulation are the best ways to stimulate a young brain
- Stress and adversity is a part of life and a child is more likely to have a healthy response to such stress if well supported by family and a community
Different types of stresses include:
- Healthy, positive stress (aiding motivation)
- Tolerable stress (if buffered by good community support)
- Toxic stress (no buffer, adversely affects brain growth and learning)
Children suffering from toxic stress have higher rates of problems in later life. A research study following groups of children in Jamaica revealed interesting insights into the positive effects different types of stimulation have on young brains, including an insight into later, adult, life.
Here is the video: