Eat better, feel better and look better too!
You might be trying to manage your weight or simply enjoy your food more, you can avoid overeating by asking yourself, "Am I really hungry for another bite, or have I had enough?"
It’s a good idea to pay attention to how food makes your body feel as this will naturally regulate your appetite and also the types of food you eat.
For example do you feel crampy or bloated after eating bread? Do you feel all ready for action then tired a short while later after eating or drinking something loaded with sugar?
The Primal/Paleo eating approach is the antithesis of the more regimented and compulsive approach where portions, calories, and food choices are obsessively measured against the arbitrary standards of some gimmicky diet.
Informed by the principles of ancestral health science, the Primal/Paleo eating approach is nothing new and not a fad diet. It’s simply all about trying to eat real food, the type our ancestors used to eat before the advent of industrial grains, sugars and seed oils etc which are driving the obesity epidemic as well as contributing to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, depression, anxiety and more.
It takes a gradual transition, the body needs to get used to burning more fat and less sugar for its energy requirements, this takes a bit of time and patience.
But the results are amazing, easy weight management without ever going hungry and many other health benefits too numerous to list here.
I live by a Primal/Paleo lifestyle which suits my body as I press on into my forties. I don’t have to worry too much about my weight, my energy levels are pretty stable, my sinus congestion issues cleared up as did those niggly aches and pains after a long day in the clinic.
There are now literally hundreds of books and academic papers now advocating the benefits of low carbohydrate eating, I’ve listed some in the references.
By Simon Coghlan
1. Noakes T, Creed SA, Proudfoot J, Caradoc-Davies T. The Real Meal Revolution: Changing the World, One Meal at a Time. Quivertree Publications; 2014.
2. Sisson M. The primal blueprint: reprogramme your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health and boundless energy. Random House; 2012 Aug 31.
3. Shanahan C. Deep nutrition: Why your genes need traditional food. Flatiron Books; 2017 Jan 3.
4. Perlmutter D. Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar-Your Brain's Silent Killers. Hachette UK; 2014 Jan 16.
5. Taubes G. The case against sugar. Anchor Books; 2017 Dec
6. Phinney AND, Volek JS. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable. Beyond Obesity LLC. 2011.