Tips for optimising long term health
- You need at least 7-8 Hours per night
- Don’t exercise before bed
- No caffeine after 3pm
- Use blue light filters when it gets dark, either screen filters or glasses when watching TV-
- Avoid using smartphones or tablets before bed, no email!
- Moderate alcohol
- Spend less time sitting, get up and move, stand or crouch
- Walk more - 5-10 minutes every hour
- Lift heaving things from time to time - this can include own body weight for example when doing PhysioPilates, or weights in the gym etc. Do so with care, check with your physiotherapist first
- Sprint sessions, once every 7-10 days when feeling energised for example running, a run, a power walk, a vigorous cycling session or few fast laps in the pool. Take a break and repeat 5-10 times.
- Longer duration exercise sessions, 2-5 hours of moderate intensity exercise each week at a heart rate of no more than 180 beats per minutes less your age
Get your diet right
- Avoid sugar
- Avoid seed oils, all types including rapeseed oils
- Avoid processed foods, this causes most of the detrimental effects of the western diet
- Avoid grains if possible, especially if sensitive to gluten
- Eat real food! Mainly plants, not too much
- Practice Yoga, PhysioPilates, meditation or mindfulness
- Change your response to stressful stimuli, get help with this if needed
- Stop multitasking, focus on doing one thing at a time
- Get outside, barefoot on the grass
- Get a dog! They eat well, need to be walked and love to play
- Sunlight during the day, or other forms of bright light is essential
- Put down the iphone
- Have fun with friends and family
- Have sex more often (responsibly of course, and with someone you love)
- Hug and cuddle!
So there you go, let me know how you get on.